Women are like lionesses at the gate of the home. . . . She guards that gate, and things matter to that family if they matter to her. . . . Sisters, you are each like the lioness at the gate. This means that there has to be some prioritizing. I was taught years ago that when our priorities are out of order, we lose power. If we need power and influence to carry out our mission, then our priorities have to be straight.

Friday, February 1, 2008

Baby Talk - January

My friend Andrea does a monthly post where she shares some of the hilarious things her kids did and said for the month. I love that idea and decided to start the tradition myself. Even though Shaelyn can't officially talk yet, it doesn't mean she doesn't have some hilarious antics! So look for our monthly installment of Baby Talk.

1/24 (Thursday):

This morning I was exhausted when Shaelyn woke up after another bad night, so I went and laid on the floor in her room while she played. At one point she came and woke me up by brushing my teeth with her toothbrush (I must have left it on her night stand the night before) and had really good aim. She actually made contact with several teeth! I had also dumped a pile of clean laundry on the floor the night before to be folded the next day, and noticed that she had found the dryer sheet, which she was holding in her other hand. After brushing my teeth, she proceeded to wipe my nose with the dryer sheet. Revenge is sweet!


Later today I was getting ready for the day in the bathroom and Shaelyn was playing in my room. I realized it had been a while since I had heard her running around, so I peeked my head around the corner of the bathroom door and saw her, sitting almost Indian-style, in front of our full length mirror. She was having a full-on, very animated, conversation with herself. I ended up watching her for about 10 minutes, during which she kissed herself, poked herself in the face, and offered herself her paci.


While we were waiting for our lunch to cook in the oven, I got out some Goldfish crackers to share with Shaelyn. She grabbed for the open bag and dumped about 20 Goldfish on the ground. I started to eat some, to show her how good they were and encourage her to do the same. Evidently, she thought that I needed them more than she did, so she picked up each cracker one by one and fed them to me. Of course I made a big deal about eating them when she'd put them in my mouth, so she'd laugh hysterically each time. As the pile of Goldfish started to diminish, she bit off the heads of the remaining fish and fed me the tails.


1/26 (Sunday):
Shaelyn's had a bit of a runny nose (again - her doctor said she'll be sick on and off all winter!), but this time she has learned how to wipe away the snot with the back of her hand before I can get to it with a tissue. Ew! But totally classic - today at church I caught her with her finger up her nose three times! I guess it's a mixed blessing that she has such big nostrils. She can "clean house" herself, but seriously, EW!

1/27 (Monday):
Shaelyn and I were playing on the floor today, and I had my hair in a ponytail. She came up behind me to give me a hug (one of her new favorite things) and saw my long hair and couldn't resist. I thought she was going to pull it and get it all tangled in her sticky fingers, but instead she just stroked it - so adorable! And something I'm always trying to get Michael to do. I can't wait until Shaelyn is big enough to play with my hair all the time!

1/30 (Wednesday):
Shaelyn has a new car seat that faces forward that she's been riding in for about a month now. She used to hate riding in the car, but now that she can face forward and look out the window, she loves it. She has figured out how her car seat buckles, and will get her arms out from under the straps when you unbuckle them. Today I went to the back seat to get her out of the car and she had her finger waiting on the red button with a big smile on her face. I'd better look out - pretty soon she'll be strong enough to push that red button!

1/31 (Thursday):
We flew out to AZ today, and Shaelyn was SO GOOD on the plane. It was a non-stop flight - 5 1/2 hours - and I was very scared how things would go. She fell asleep within the first 30 minutes and slept for 1 1/2 hours, so that killed some time. We flew Southwest and were able to pick our seats, so we got a whole row to ourselves (honestly, would you sit next to a mom and dad holding a little baby on a 5 1/2 hour flight?). This was wonderful. We had room to stretch out and let Shaelyn stand and run around on the seats. About half-way through the flight, Shaelyn started to get a little fussy. We figured it was because she was hot. We took off everything but her onesie, and she went to town. She was standing and twirling in the seat. It was hilarious! I can't believe she didn't make herself dizzy, but she just kept doing it and laughing her head off.

On the plane, she also pointed right at Michael's chest and said "Dada", jabbing him on each "da".

And finally, we went out to dinner to celebrate my sister's birthday, and Shaelyn played with all the spoons on the table, Benny & Joon style. She was really into it!