Women are like lionesses at the gate of the home. . . . She guards that gate, and things matter to that family if they matter to her. . . . Sisters, you are each like the lioness at the gate. This means that there has to be some prioritizing. I was taught years ago that when our priorities are out of order, we lose power. If we need power and influence to carry out our mission, then our priorities have to be straight.

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Baby Talk - February

I've been a real Baby Talk slacker. I've gone months without recording the funny things Shaelyn's been saying. And I really regret it. So this month I tried to be really diligent.

And then I lost the sticky note I was writing all her funny stuff down on!

So here's what I can remember:

Shaelyn:
Shaelyn learned about resurrection in Primary. Her daddy talked to her about it in the car on the way home from church.
Shaelyn: Jesus was resurrected.
Daddy: Yes, and one day you will be resurrected too.
Shaelyn: I don't want to be resurrected. I want to stay in my car seat!

Praying over dinner the other night:
S: Heavenly Father, grateful for this food. And didgeridoos.

After Rachelle "filled her diaper," Shaelyn came to find me to tell me about it.
S: Mom, Rachelle is stinky. She's a stinky beep! (I call my girls "Stinky Pete" for such circumstances.)

Shaelyn has been OBSESSED with the Olympics - it has permeated all aspects of pretend play.
She's been drawing all kinds of pictures of mountains and skiers and ice skaters.
Here's one of a mountain, snow, and skiers.



Trying to stall from going to bed, Shaelyn looked downstairs through the slats and said:
"Oh no! The pink kitchen is a mess! We need to clean it up!"
You know a kid's stalling when they WANT to clean.

One day while playing in the pink kitchen, Shaelyn grabbed her school backpack and filled it up with play food. When I asked her what she was doing, she said,
"I'm storing food!"
Hey, at least we're teaching her right!
When I checked on the contents,however, I found 3 cupcakes, 2 bottles of soda, some chocky milk, and a banana. Not sure how sustainable that food will be...

Every night Shaelyn likes to tell us what she's going to dream about that night. Here's a non-exhaustive list of things she's recently mentioned:
- princesses (obviously)
- pink and blue
- Lightning McQueen
- Maisy Maisy Mouse
- China
- Cara (her Cabbage Patch Doll)
- Glo-Worm
- all Disney Princess sidekicks, such as Flounder, Sebastian, "clock," "candle," "mouse," and Magic Carpet

Michael was out of town for a week, and on the last night before he came home, I asked her what she was going to dream about.
S: That Daddy comes home and plays with me.

Lately Shaelyn has been starting all her answers with a really drawn out "maaaay-be," as in:
Mom: What do you want to drink with your breakfast?
S: Maaaay-be, chocky milk. (As if there were any other option.)

Mom: What do you want to watch (for your video time)?
S: Maaaay-be, Disney Princesses. (As if there were any other option.)

Shaelyn is becoming an outfit hoarder of sorts. When she discovers something she loves, she wears it all the time. Last month it was her Cinderella dress. It was worn everywhere. It was all I could do to keep it off of her for school and church.
This month it's been her kangaroo pouch (that I made for our Australia lesson). She has worn it every day, all day ever since we has that lesson.
She has also worn her Olympic gold medal (also from a preschool lesson) almost every day.

And finally, Shaelyn is currently undergoing an identity crises. She is never "Shaelyn," but I never know who she is, so I get reprimanded constantly throughout the day.
Mom: Shaelyn, do you need to go potty?
S: I'm not Shaelyn. I'm kangaroo.

Mom: Shaelyn, let's put on our coat so we can go outside and play.
S: I'm not Shaelyn. I'm Cinderella. [insert all other Disney Princess names here]

Mom: Stay still Shaelyn. I'm trying to brush your hair.
S: I'm not Shaelyn. I'm Olympian Shaelyn.

Mom: Time to eat dinner, Shaelyn.
S: I'm not Shaelyn. I'm puppy.

And Rachelle:
She's obviously not talking yet, but her hilarious hijinks involve removing EVERYTHING from its designated spot, and ceremoniously throwing them around. She has discovered she can throw things through the spindles on the upstairs landing, so I have to keep a sharp eye to make sure all things breakable don't find their way down.

She's also learning where things do go (even though they don't stay there) and makes a big deal out of putting a toy away, or taking her diaper to the trash can, or putting her toothbrush back up on top of the counter. Of course, as soon as it finds its destination, it's taken right back out again, and thrown around. (Probably down the stairs.)

She's also good at the fake hand-off. She walks up to you with something in her hand, arm fully extended, looks you in the eye, and waits for you to put out your hand to receive it. Then she takes off, still holding the object. Toddlers should be spies.

Bonus pics:
Grandma and Grandpa visited this month. We had a great time playing, reading, walking (in the freezing cold!), pretending, doing school, going to "bouncy castles," and going out to eat. We passed by the two restaurants we visited while they were here, and Shaelyn's voice came up from the back seat:
"That's the special place I went with Grandma and Grandpa. I miss them!"

So do I!

Photobucket