Women are like lionesses at the gate of the home. . . . She guards that gate, and things matter to that family if they matter to her. . . . Sisters, you are each like the lioness at the gate. This means that there has to be some prioritizing. I was taught years ago that when our priorities are out of order, we lose power. If we need power and influence to carry out our mission, then our priorities have to be straight.

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Sabre Dance

"Maybe I should just get up there and start juggling some of the girls' toys."

Michael and I were discussing our upcoming entries into our ward talent show. Mine and Shaelyn's entries are a done deal - practiced, polished, perfected. Ok, not perfected. But still, a done deal.

Michael, however, is still tweaking his entry. Today he played around with all kinds of options. I was giggling through most of them. But the suggestion of him juggling the girls' toys had me rolling. Especially when the toys he picked up were the shopping cart, the stroller, and the lawnmower.

As he started frantically waving them around in the air, all I could hear in my head (besides the ringing of both the girls' laughter) was The Sabre Dance, by Aram Khachaturian. You know, the song that always makes you think of the clowns at the circus. So I started singing it out loud.

"Da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da. Daaa-dum. Daaa-dum."

Shaelyn tried to sing along. But without all the instruments, it just didn't sound right.

So I went to my new friend, You Tube, and exposed the girls to a piece of refined culture.

And then we did this.



Just wait 'til you see our talent show entries.