Women are like lionesses at the gate of the home. . . . She guards that gate, and things matter to that family if they matter to her. . . . Sisters, you are each like the lioness at the gate. This means that there has to be some prioritizing. I was taught years ago that when our priorities are out of order, we lose power. If we need power and influence to carry out our mission, then our priorities have to be straight.

Saturday, January 26, 2008

Relationship Questions

My friend Kelly tagged me to answer some questions about me and Michael's relationship. Most of you know the following, but maybe there's a little gem you didn't know...

How long have you been together? 8 ½ years
How long did you date? 2 years (dated for little over a year, then engaged for a little under a year)
How old is he? 29
Who eats more? Michael – did anyone doubt that answer?
Who said I love you first? Me – in the snow in January outside his apartment (after we had started dating in September)
Who is taller? Michael
Who sings better? Me, but Michael is a good singer
Who is smarter? I plead the 5th on this question…
Who does the laundry? It’s a joint effort. Laundry is the bane of my existence, but I am getting better about it. I usually wash and fold, and Michael helps put it away.
Who does the dishes? Usually Michael. Without being prompted. Isn’t that great?!
Who sleeps on the right side of the bed? Meaning when you’re standing at the foot of the bed looking at it, or when you’re laying in it looking down to the foot? I sleep on the right side if you’re standing at the foot looking at the bed. But like Kelly, this position might switch depending on the layout of the room.
Who pays the bills? Me
Who mows the lawn? Is it sad to admit that I don’t know how to mow the lawn?
Who cooks dinner? Me
Who drives when you are together? Michael
Who is more stubborn? Of course I want to say Michael, but I think the accurate answer is me.
Who kissed who first? Michael kissed me. He teased me mercilessly for about a week, acting like he was going to do it, but then would never follow through. I was playing the “traditional girl role” and waited for him!
Who asked who out? Michael asked me out several times and I said “no”. But then my best friend was going up to her grandparents’ for the weekend and wanted to double date since she was taking her boyfriend. I didn’t want to take a stranger on an overnight date, so I asked Michael to go with me. He said “no” to me, just out of spite, but ended up coming along, ‘cause he couldn’t resist an overnight date with me!
Who proposed? He did – on October 29th.
Who is more sensitive? Me – is there any question about this either? But Michael’s a pretty sensitive guy. One of the things I absolutely LOVE about him.
Who has more friends? Michael’s always complaining that I do, but lately he’s been WAY more social than me, so I guess he’s trying to catch up!
Who has more siblings? Michael – 5 kids. Me – 2 kids.
Who wears the pants in the family? What kind of question is this? I’ll say we both have a leg in the same pair of pants, because we try to approach our marriage and family direction as a team.

I tag Megan Wheatley and my mother-in-law (you can answer the questions in your Sunday family email). :)