Women are like lionesses at the gate of the home. . . . She guards that gate, and things matter to that family if they matter to her. . . . Sisters, you are each like the lioness at the gate. This means that there has to be some prioritizing. I was taught years ago that when our priorities are out of order, we lose power. If we need power and influence to carry out our mission, then our priorities have to be straight.

Monday, February 11, 2008

Samuel David's Blessing

The main reason for our recent trip out west was to attend the baby blessing of my sister's little baby, Samuel David Banks. He is SUCH a cutie - and BIG! He currently weighs 12.5 pounds at 6 weeks old, and Shaelyn weighs just shy of 20 pounds at 14 months! But he has a really strong neck (he can completely hold it up on all his own - at 6 weeks! Amazing!) and a really sweet disposition. His little voice is so cute to listen to and it made me reminisce on all the sweet discoveries I had as a first time mommy of a newborn.






David (as my little sister, Shannon, and her husband, Sam, are calling their son), was so good during the blessing. He was wide awake and didn't make a peep. Shannon had found this adorable blessing outfit for him to wear. And I thought only little girls were fun to dress up. Boy was I wrong. Every time I saw that little guy, he had on another snazzy outfit with matching hat and shoes. But as you can see in the pictures, my sister is the fashonista of the family...




Here's my side of the family: me and Michael (Shaelyn was taking a nap during pictures), Sam, Shannon, and little David, and my mom and dad.


Later that week, Shannon came over to my parents' house with her baby to take some pictures of David and Shaelyn together. He was so chill and sat up all by himself on the couch while we got Shaelyn ready to sit next to him. How cute!




I thought Shaelyn was going to be psyched to meet her new cousin, since she LOVES other kids and babies, but I think she was a little scared of David. She cried any time she had to get close to him. I'm not sure why - maybe because he's so much littler than her? Anyway, she was none too happy to be included in this photo shoot.


The sisters as new mommies. So many people are shocked when we tell them we're sisters, but I think it's only because my sister is so much taller than me, and has dark eyes, skin, and hair. If you look at our faces side by side, I can see the similarities. Can you?



You can't see it in these pictures, but Shannon has on a shirt with a picture of Ralph Wiggum saying "I'm special". Classic!


Welcome to the family little David!