Women are like lionesses at the gate of the home. . . . She guards that gate, and things matter to that family if they matter to her. . . . Sisters, you are each like the lioness at the gate. This means that there has to be some prioritizing. I was taught years ago that when our priorities are out of order, we lose power. If we need power and influence to carry out our mission, then our priorities have to be straight.

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Baby Talk - June

6/5:

Climbed Maggie's cat tower, all the way to the top






6/6:

I was eating my lunch on the couch, and looked up to see this running past me:


6/7:
We have the same bedtime routine every night: read scriptures, read 3 stories, sing "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" and "I am a Child of God", then say a prayer. Shaelyn now knows this routine by heart and folds her arms as soon as we're done singing "I am a Child of God". I usually say the prayer for her, and she repeats the words she knows. I change the prayer depending on what we did that day and what she needs, but I always end the prayer the same: "Please bless Mommy, please bless Daddy, please bless the kitty, in the name of Jesus Christ, amen". Tonight, after "I am a Child of God", she folded her arms and said "mama, dada, kitty, ai-en". It brought tears to my eyes it was so cute. Her first prayer she said all by herself!

6/11:

Today we went on a bike ride to the lake, and we have to go through an underground tunnel to get there. I always make a bunch of noise when we do to hear it echo, and Shaelyn has started to pick up on this. Today, while going through the tunnel, she started the echo noises before I even did anything:

Shaelyn: Cock-a-doodle-doo! (excellent tunnel noise to make!)
Mommy: Echo! Echo!
Shaelyn: Eko, Eko, Nilk! (I think she thinks I was saying "Eggo" instead of "echo", and of course milk goes with Eggos - every morning!)

6/14:

Michael was playing with Shaelyn upstairs and handed her the phone to distract her while he was trying to get something done. He told her to "go call Clara". She sat down on the floor, put her back up to the wall, stuck her legs straight out in front of her, and did just that.

"Ca-wah, abbadah, ohbedah, um, NO, um, abbadah, abbadah, um, NO, um, NO, bye bye".

Now anytime Shaelyn picks up a phone to pretend call someone, she ALWAYS calls Clara and has a similar conversation as the one above.

6/18:
You wanna know why Shaelyn is so strong? Because she works out. I started taking this video to show you her telling Maggie "no", but it turns out I captured her one of her new favorite activities: pulling on the blinds' cords. It looks like she's doing a baby Nautilus workout.

6/20:
Andrea babysat Shaelyn today, and when Whitney (she's 4) answered the door , she said, "My, Shaelyn is getting so big. Look how big her legs are!", meaning how LONG they are. They are so super long. I love them.

This evening we went for a walk around the block (Shaelyn just trotting down the sidewalk - no stroller), and while we were walking, a young man probably in his 20's came running past, exercising without his shirt on. Shaelyn stopped walking and stared at him for a good 10 seconds - all the way until he rounded the corner. I told her to stop gawking.

6/21:
Shaelyn found Maggie laying on the stairs and climbed up to her to pet her. When she got to her, she meowed over and over again and kissed the fur on her back. I've never seen her do that before. It was very cute. She also got a hug in once or twice before Maggie ran away.

6/22:
Every night while Shaelyn is falling asleep, she talks non-stop for a period of time before becoming silent and sleep overtakes her. Usually the talk is completely non-sensical, but tonight, she started out by saying "cow, moo, owl, hoo hoo, cock-a-doodle-do, choo choo". It took me a while to figure out what she was doing, but I realized she was reciting "Mr. Brown Can Moo, Can You?", one of her favorite books. She got all the way through "dopp dopp dopp, grum grum grum, knock knock knock, boom boom" before she quieted down and fell asleep. I gave her a fish kiss when I laid her down in bed.

6/24:
My mother-in-law sends Shaelyns TONS of books, which of course Shaelyn loves! Here she is "reading" one to herself - Dilly Duckling. She loves it because there's a duck on every page, and she's SO into ducks right now!

6/25:

Shaelyn was really happy to see my mom again and played with her the whole time she was here. I loved watching Shaelyn interact with her and imitate all the things Grammy would do with her. Here is Shaelyn playing her favorite ABC game while Grammy watches. I love that she mimicks my mom flapping her wings!

6/28:

While my mom was here, she got Shaelyn a few new toys, including a babydoll stroller and some dishes/play food for her new kitchen. Shaelyn LOVES pushing the stroller around, but hardly ever puts the baby in the stroller. Today I found what she had put in the stroller instead. Hmmmm...

Don't worry, folks. It's plastic and harmless. But still, a knife? Sweetie, I don't think knives and babies mix really well.

My mom also brought out some of my old clothes from when I was Shaelyn's age. My mom said it was like looking at me all over again to see Shaelyn in my clothes. Here she is in my pink BYU shirt - my mom's favorite. She said I wore it ALL THE TIME. Amazing that it held up so well.



6/30:

I've been trying to get Shaelyn to tell me if she's peed or pooped by telling her what kind of diaper I'm changing. Evidently poop must be a very funny word, because she says it all the time now and giggles like crazy. And now every diaper is a poop diaper, according to her. She says "poop, poop, poop!" the whole time I'm changing her diaper. I'm just waiting for her to yell out "poop!" in the middle of sacrament meeting!