Women are like lionesses at the gate of the home. . . . She guards that gate, and things matter to that family if they matter to her. . . . Sisters, you are each like the lioness at the gate. This means that there has to be some prioritizing. I was taught years ago that when our priorities are out of order, we lose power. If we need power and influence to carry out our mission, then our priorities have to be straight.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Insanity

I once had a boss that I really liked.  He was tough, he expected a lot (too much, I sometimes thought), and many people were afraid of him.  But he was great at motivating people.  He was constantly trying to get us to do better than we ever had done, to stretch our reach further and accomplish more.

But that meant that we had to change something.  Or sometimes many things.

This was something he was always teaching.  His favorite quote was one that has been echoing in my mind these last few days:

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

This is the source of so much anger I have with myself.  I continue to live my life the same way I always do and wonder why the things I want to change about myself, my life, my circumstances never change.

These last 3 days have been incredibly trying days for me.  Nothing out of the ordinary, nothing that anyone else hasn't dealt with or is currently dealing with.  Nothing life or death or of a serious nature.  Nothing even blog-worthy.  Which also adds to my frustration that I am so burdened by something seemingly so small!

Then I saw this video and felt much better.  Or at least had a laugh at myself.

 

Because after my day on Sunday, plus FHE last night, plus watching someone else's kids all day today, making dinner for the missionaries this evening, and gathering items for a Relief Society meeting I didn't even attend tonight, I needed to see this.

And although it's good for a laugh, this is the life of an LDS woman.  (All except for the "looking like a supermodel" part - I leave that to the show ponies in my life.)

At least I can say I'm following the Lord's counsel to "wear out [my] life" for "these things should be attended to with great earnestness."

Because, in the same breath that we are admonished:
"Therefore, dearly beloved brethren (and sisters), let us cheerfully do all things that lie in our power"

We are promised:
"and then may we stand still, with the utmost assurance, to see the salvation of God, and for His arm to be revealed."  

So onto another day of trying to end the insanity while I cheerfully do all the things I can do that lie within my power . . .

Knowing that as I do so, His arm will be revealed, His guidance more readily felt, and His love and grace will become a real power in my life as I take a moment reflect and stand still.